Coffee Bavarian Cream recipe: a chilled dessert liked by everyone
How to make the espresso coffee version of the popular French dessert: ingredients, quantities and method.
Do you never tire of coffee desserts? When also delicious, chilled and quick to make, they are ideal on these first hot days. If you are looking for a dessert to amaze your guests, or just want to treat yourself to a break full of goodness and energy, try Coffee Bavarian Cream cake!
Coffee Bavarian Cream is a version of the traditional timeless Bavarian Cream, a much loved dessert made of crème anglaise, cream and gelatine. Over the years, so many variations of the original recipe have been invented, so… what about a coffee version?!
How to make Coffee Bavarian Cream: the recipe
Coffee Bavarian Cream is easy to make, also in summer, as you don’t need to use the oven. It can be made in individual portions or in a single mould, as a cake. So there is plenty of scope for creativity!
Ingredients for 4
100 ml good quality coffee
150 ml whole milk
100 g sugar
250 g fresh cream
4 egg yolks
1 sachet vanilla flavouring
5 g gelatine
- Soak the gelatine in cold water in a bowl for 10 minutes
- Make the espresso coffee in a moka pot
- Mix the sugar and the egg yolks together in a bowl
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the vanilla flavouring. Heat it and bring it almost to the boil
- Add the sugar and egg mixture to the saucepan
Continue cooking on a low heat, stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon until it becomes thick and creamy, without letting it boil (if you have a kitchen thermometer, it should reach 80°C).
- Turn off the heat and add the gently squeezed gelatine and the coffee, and then continue stirring
- When the gelatine has completely dissolved, leave it to stand and cool for a few minutes
- Add the whipped cream and stir again
- Fill the mould or 4 espresso coffee cups/sundae glasses
- Chill it in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving.
To remove the Coffee Bavarian Cream cake easily from the mould and put it on a dessert plate without ruining it, dip the base of the mould into boiling water. If you prefer to use small moulds or espresso coffee cups, the result will be some very elegant single portions.
One last tip…
You can decorate your Coffee Bavarian Cream dessert with hazelnut or almond granola, whipped cream, meringues, flaked dark chocolate or roasted coffee beans. Your guests will be impressed!
If you pair the Coffee Bavarian Cream cake with some fresh seasonal fruit, you will achieve an incredibly refreshing combination. It is better to choose a full-bodied coffee with an intense taste so that the aroma of the espresso coffee stands out among the other ingredients.
Coffee Bavarian Cream cake should be served chilled. The next day, it will be even tastier, as it will have a more intense and fragrant taste. It is an aromatic yet not overwhelming dessert liked by everyone, not only coffee lovers.
Did you like the article and want to know more about Caffè Mauro?