Coffee biscuits recipe, how to easily boost your energy levels!
Energy and a sweet treat in one bite? You need a handful of good coffee biscuits – fragrant, traditional and easy to prepare, even at home, thanks to our coffee biscuits recipe. Just a handful of ingredients and a little willingness are all that is required to test your pastry chef skills!
Dunked in milk, morning coffee biscuits are the ideal breakfast; excellent also for the mid-afternoon break at the office. Enjoyed with a good coffee they provide a charge of energy to drive away tiredness and to face the toughest tasks during the whole day. If stored in a tin container, coffee biscuits will retain their fragrance and just-baked flavour for a week.
Now it’s time to taste our coffee biscuits recipe!
How to prepare homemade coffee biscuits
First of all, the coffee. You can use a cup of espresso, or two teaspoons of instant coffee. Then butter (150 g), brown sugar (100 g), bitter cocoa powder (5 g), type 00 flour (250 g), baking powder (5 g) and two eggs. Coffee biscuits traditional recipe requires just a few ingredients, the important thing is that they are fresh and good quality.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and leave it to soften in a bowl at room temperature.
- Add two eggs and start mixing. You can knead it by hand or use an electric whisk.
- At this point add cocoa, brown sugar and coffee in that order, continuing to mix carefully, to completely combine all the ingredients and make the mixture creamy and elastic.
- Finally, add the baking powder and the sifted flour to give the dough a little more consistency, then keep mixing to amalgamate everything together. If you have used liquid coffee instead of instant, use a handful of extra flour.
- Once well amalgamated, turn out the mixture onto the table and work the dough by hand, forming it into a dough ball. Wrap it in a sheet of cling film and let it rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
Ok, the dough has firmed up. It’s almost done. Now you can separate the dough into small pieces (approximately 25g each, a little bigger than a walnut) to make your coffee biscuits. Form them into your preferred shape. Thin and round, or more compact and squared. You can shape them to create an oval shape and etch on the surface by making a light cut with a knife to obtain the coffee bean’s silhouette.
Arrange the biscuits well apart on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and bake them in a ventilated oven at 180 ° for 10-15 minutes, until they have turned a slightly golden colour.
Here we go. You just need to take the cookies out of the oven, leave them to cool completely and serve them on a tray. You can taste the biscuits!
Coffee biscuits, a crunchy treat for every occasion
Coffee biscuits recipe takes no more than 15 minutes; no special equipment or even chef-level skills are required. As we’ve seen, it’s really easy to make tasty and crunchy coffee biscuits at home.
For a richer version, when the dough starts to thicken, you can add a handful (60 g) of dark chocolate chips or chopped hazelnuts, or before baking, you can decorate each cookie with a coffee bean covered in melted chocolate.
To be dunked in milk for breakfast, together with a coffee and cappuccino, or after meals, accompanied by an orange liqueur and a piece of chocolate: the goodness of coffee biscuits is always guaranteed. You can also carry a couple of biscuits in a bag to ensure everyday a delicious snack available. Enjoy them!
Did you like the article and want to know more about Caffè Mauro?